Because of all of your support I was able to raise $5,000 for Livestrong. Our full team raised over $80,000 and I am so thankful for all of your support. Without all of you this experience wouldn't have been possible.
The journey started for me when I stepped on the scale - it wasn't broken and it read 210 lbs. The first goal was to lose 20 lbs so I could start running without injuring myself. A month passed and I was at 190lbs. During the first few months all my running was done on a treadmill because of the weather. I continued to get in running shape and the weather started to break. My real training then began by running 13 to 18 miles on Sundays finishing up on Creek Road in NJ - 4 miles of hills. This meant that my wife Jen got "No Breaks" on Sundays because I was out running for 2 to 3 hours at a time. After 5-months of training, I was at running weight (160 lbs) and as ready as I could be for the race.
Race Day:
Jen and I woke up at 4:45am on May 15th and ate breakfast immediately as the race started at 7am. I was excited and nervous - my hope was to run the best race possible in 4:15:00 to 4:30:00. The weather was overcast and rainy in the 60's - perfect weather.
I put myself in the slowest heat so by the time I crossed the starting line it was 7:15am. I was able to run relaxed for the first 10 miles at a 9:30 mile pace as I knew this part of the race was relatively flat. The city of Pittsburgh was awesome to run in and I got to cross 3 bridges. At mile 9, Jen was there cheering for me and it was great to see her face! At mile 10, I knew the race was just beginning as the next 7 miles were mostly uphill. Crossing the bridge going into mile 11, I attacked the first hill going into Oakland, PA (going to Univ. of Pitt) and I could tell my training really paid off. I ran some of my fastest mile splits during these 7 miles and it was really tough! There were about 40 bands playing music at random destinations of the run and the fans were amazing. At mile 17 the crowd was roaring as they reminded the runners that we only had 9 miles left (SINGLE DIGITS). At mile 19 my legs we really hurting and the fight was on to finish strong.
One of the most memorable points during the race for me was at mile 24. One cheering fan read my racing bib and yelled out to me - Your Mom is proud and looking down on you.... Only 2 miles left - kick it in gear and bring it home! That was exactly what I needed to hear - the fatigue vanished and I kicked it into another gear. I crossed the last bridge in downtown Pittsburgh to finish up outside of Heinz Field and saw Jen screaming my name and cheering me on to finish. I was in disbelief that the 26.2 mile journey was over. I finished a hilly 26.2 miles in 4:37:29.
What an incredible journey - this event was truly inspiring and life changing. I will never forget all of you that sponsored me, cheered me on, and offered me encouragement. I know this will be the first race of many as my work is not done.
Race Day:
Jen and I woke up at 4:45am on May 15th and ate breakfast immediately as the race started at 7am. I was excited and nervous - my hope was to run the best race possible in 4:15:00 to 4:30:00. The weather was overcast and rainy in the 60's - perfect weather.
I put myself in the slowest heat so by the time I crossed the starting line it was 7:15am. I was able to run relaxed for the first 10 miles at a 9:30 mile pace as I knew this part of the race was relatively flat. The city of Pittsburgh was awesome to run in and I got to cross 3 bridges. At mile 9, Jen was there cheering for me and it was great to see her face! At mile 10, I knew the race was just beginning as the next 7 miles were mostly uphill. Crossing the bridge going into mile 11, I attacked the first hill going into Oakland, PA (going to Univ. of Pitt) and I could tell my training really paid off. I ran some of my fastest mile splits during these 7 miles and it was really tough! There were about 40 bands playing music at random destinations of the run and the fans were amazing. At mile 17 the crowd was roaring as they reminded the runners that we only had 9 miles left (SINGLE DIGITS). At mile 19 my legs we really hurting and the fight was on to finish strong.
One of the most memorable points during the race for me was at mile 24. One cheering fan read my racing bib and yelled out to me - Your Mom is proud and looking down on you.... Only 2 miles left - kick it in gear and bring it home! That was exactly what I needed to hear - the fatigue vanished and I kicked it into another gear. I crossed the last bridge in downtown Pittsburgh to finish up outside of Heinz Field and saw Jen screaming my name and cheering me on to finish. I was in disbelief that the 26.2 mile journey was over. I finished a hilly 26.2 miles in 4:37:29.
What an incredible journey - this event was truly inspiring and life changing. I will never forget all of you that sponsored me, cheered me on, and offered me encouragement. I know this will be the first race of many as my work is not done.
Nick we are all so proud of you and this wonderful accomplishment for a worthwhile cause. You did a fantastic job!!!! It is such a nice honor in your mom's memory! Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your experience, I am sure it was amazing!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Carrie, Bob, Madison and Bobby Davis